Built in 1683 along a plank designed by the military engineer Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban (1633-1707), the guard was intended to host a small guard of 15 men. They had a mission to service the drawbridges and controlling passports of travelers.
The ground floor of the building consisted of three parts: the guard room, dormitory (five beds for fifteen men!) And powder room.
The military occupation will be held until 1914. He then by various tenants, especially after the destruction of Maubeuge in 1940.
The museum tells the history and military fortifications of Maubeuge. Different collections of uniforms, the relief map of the city from 1825, old documents and weapons of the arms factory in Maubeuge are, among other presentations.