The Angouleme Museum of paper was opened in 1988, instead of a former paper mill in Angoulême in France.
The buildings comprised the former paper The Nile, Joseph Bardou, whose trademark was registered in 1887, which produced a famous cigarette paper whose emblem was an elephant. The plant was closed in 1970 and the museum opened in 1988.
The museum located on the ground Charente retain remains recalling the use of river water to mechanical energy (impeller, valves and couriers). Upstairs, the museum is an exhibition space where history, techniques and practices contribute to a better understanding of what this multifaceted material paper and some socio-economic aspects of its development.