Opened in 1850, the Musée Lorrain now has 4500 m2 of exhibition space distributed over several notable sites in the heart of the Old Town:
- The Ducal Palace, built by the Dukes of Lorraine and its gatehouse, one of the first witnesses of the Renaissance in Eastern France,
- Le Couvent des Cordeliers and the Church of the sixteenth century, when buried in the crypt the tombs of the family of Lorraine.
The museum demonstrates the remarkable artistic and cultural life of the region. Everyday objects, ornaments, arms and sculptures of prehistoric civilizations, Gallo-Roman and Merovingian exhibit this radiance as well as collections from the Middle Ages richly endowed with religious and funeral sculptures.
The Renaissance art is expressed particularly in the works of Ligier Richier (Franciscan Church), and a set of stained glass and remarkable sculptural works, like Christ in the Garden of Olives. the paintings
Georges de La Tour and engravings by Jacques Callot meet the annals of Stanislas.
Regional pottery collection of eighteenth and nineteenth centuries is a reference set.
Miniature room and two rooms devoted to objects of Jewish worship are special collections at the museum.